[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

William Stucke William at zanet.co.za
Tue Sep 30 19:47:07 EDT 2003

Bill Woodcock said: -

> Sorry, this is ARIN.  We don' set global policy.  We set policy for the
> United States, Canada, and Sub-Saharan Africa.  Or at least, currently we
> set policy for the United States and Canada, and expect Africans to shut
> up and live with the results, however inappropriate.

Well said, Bill. There has been much cavilling on this list about
"sub-regional specific policies" and how these are "A Bad Thing", for some
unexplained reason. What some people seem to forget / not know / refuse to
acknowledge is that ARIN administers IP & AS number allocation & assignment
for two VERY different regions: -

1	The North American continent
2	The sub-Saharan portion of the African continent.

These two regions are: -

A	Distinct
B	Non-overlapping
C	Non-contiguous
D	Non-competitive

In addition, there are enormous differences - orders of magnitude - of
scale, economics, infrastructure and politics between these two regions. In
my NSHO, it doesn't make sense at all to have the SAME policies for these
two vastly different regions.

Africans, and AfriNIC members, are unanimous in supporting 2003-15. I
haven't heard a single African refuse to support 2002-3. I'm happy to record
my support for 2002-3 hereby, but do rather wonder why it's taken so long to
get through the system. I haven't heard a convincing argument that
supporting one will harm the other. Why, oh why, do (some few vocal) North
Americans refuse to support 2003-15?

Regards,

William Stucke
ZAnet Internet Services (Pty) Ltd