[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

William Stucke William at zanet.co.za
Tue Sep 30 19:12:26 EDT 2003

Jon Lewis asked: -

> Why are the monopoly incumbent carriers so reluctant to assign additional
IPs when their customers have used up what they have?

I'm not a monopoly incumbent Telco, so I can't speak for them, but I can
take a guess: -

It's because they're MONOPOLY INCUMBENTS, and the mindset of this particular
animal simply doesn't understand the concept of competition.

1	They believe that giving an inch to their "customers" will allow the
latter to wriggle out of their sticky and blood-red claws.

2	Why shouldn't they be? They can do what they like ... and don't talk about
Regulators. There isn't a Government in Africa that I'm aware of that hasn't
made damned sure that their Regulator (if one even exists) is tightly bound
in terms of what it can and can't do. Telecommunications laws don't talk
about IP addresses, they just say "Thou shalt connect anywhere via the
incumbent, ONLY"

A number of very important concepts are diametrically opposed when
considering circuit-switched type telecommunications versus packet-switched
type IP networks. Indeed the mindsets are so different that many people have
difficulty grasping that a difference even exists .. but this is rather off
topic. The Telecommunications laws are all written based on the former, and
have real trouble dealing with the latter.

The number of times that I've heard Telkom SA people equate the terms "core
network / router" and "Telephone Exchange"  ...

Regards,

William Stucke
ZAnet Internet Services (Pty) Ltd
+27 11 465 0700