[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Sep 30 18:42:25 EDT 2003

--On Tuesday, September 30, 2003 11:06 -0700 Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net>
wrote:

>       On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Randy Bush wrote:
>     > if it about was about SELF-governance, arin would not be asked to
>     > change policy would it?
>
> Uh, how is that different than American members of ARIN asking the rest of
> the ARIN members to vote on policy?  This is, after all, a consensus-based
> organization.

Because, when the rest of us ask ALL of the ARIN members to vote on
policy, we are asking ALL of the ARIN members to vote on a policy FOR
ALL of the ARIN members.

I'm sorry you think that my approach is punitive.  It is not intended as
such.  I think this policy is needed throughout the ARIN region.  I support
it if it applies to ALL of ARIN.  I don't support it if it is left
punitive to the majority of ARIN by giving special privileges to a
sub-set of ARIN membership.  I do support AfriNICs creation, and, any
policy brought to expedite that process in a reasonable and functional
manner would receive my support.  Once AfriNIC is actually operational,
they will be self governing.  Prior to that, you are not proposing
African self-governance, you are proposing that we vote the way we
think that some possible subsequent AfriNIC vote might likely go.

>     > and please stop saying "americans," as arin covers more than the
>     > united states.
>
> The distinction I was making was between the American members of ARIN,
> that is, those residing in the Americas, specifically North America, and
> those residing in Africa.  What does that have to do with the United
> States?

In the current vernacular, most people take the term American to refer
to someone from the united States of America.  Canadians generally do
not think of themselves as "Americans".  In fact, many of my Canadian
friends use terms like "You Americans".  As such, Randy's point has
some validity in that what you said did not convey what you meant to
some (much) of your audience.

Owen