[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15 - question on multi-homing issue

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Sep 30 16:08:22 EDT 2003

> Why exactly does an ISP in southern Africa HAVE to have portable
> IP address space to be multi-homed? I understand the cost issues,
> I understand that there are political issues. I'm wondering if
> there is a technical issue? If so, can someone please state
> exactly what it is?

no technical issues of which i am aware.  the main issues are at
layer eight, business.

the links into africa from the northern providers (europe, north
america) are controlled by colonialist mentalities, "they don't
really need address space, they don't use/need the net the way we
do and they can nat anyway."

to compound it, when markets are either very small (countries with
one or two providers) and/or a monopoly provider (the damage that
usaid did on this vector was immense), the classic starvation game
is played mercilessly.

i.e., it is significantly worse there than the nasty games to which
we are used here.

randy