[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Mon Sep 29 12:45:47 EDT 2003

>Your idea that allowing 2003-15 will somehow have some negative effect on
>2002-3 is pure speculation.. I speculate the reverse is true.

I agree and I think this may be an appropriate point
for an AC member to comment. As far as I can tell,
the member's meeting is more of a detailed opinion
poll than a voting session. At the end of the day the
AC will craft an actual policy based on the input of
the members. If one of these two policies loses a
few votes because of the other it is not likely to
kill that policy unless its support is very very
low.

I expect that most people who support the Africa
proposal will also feel inclined to support
micro allocations/assignments across the board.

Let's face it, we are no longer in the same
IPv4 shortage situation we were in 5 years
ago. China has come onto the Internet in a controlled
manner and is not sucking up all the spare
IP addresses. Growth has slowed down due to
various factors and there is a real replacement
being deployed today in Asia (namely IPv6).

We just don't have the same pressing need to
conserve IPv4 addresses that we once had.
Now our job is to manage the transition to
IPv6. Part of that job is to make IPv4 space
last long enough and part of it is to let
people know that IPv4 is running out at some
approximate date in the near future and that
the IPv6 replacement is viable in at least
some real-world deployments today.

--Michael Dillon