[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Ernest Byaruhanga ernest at ripe.net
Thu Sep 25 06:33:59 EDT 2003

>Why didn't the policy proposal indicate whether or not Afrinic
>had been consulted or whether the Afrinic Board of Trustees
>supports the proposal?

the proposal  is from the community in the african service region of
arin , to arin.
the afrinic board of trustees were of course directly/indirectly
consulted  - nearly all
of them run isp's or related business in africa and were at the i-week
in jo'burg.

>Someone mentioned that RIPE will be providing some sort
>of special handling for African IP requests prior to the
>transition. I found no evidence of this, however the
>Afrinic hostmasters are spending 6 months working at
>RIPE as trainees so this may be the source of that
>comment.

i'm not sure what you mean by 'special handling' - the tentative plan is
that requests from
african LIR's in RIPE service region will be handled by afrinic
hostmasters via ripe ncc
hostmasters for (second opinion)  - all this is part of the presentation
you referred to at RIPE46.

>I'm beginning to think that the best thing ARIN can
>do to support African ISPs is to dump them and let
>RIPE and Afrinic pick up the pieces. From the research
>I've done it sounds like Afrinic is well progressed
>in its functioning and has a closer working relationship
>with RIPE than with ARIN.

AfriNIC has very good working relationships with ARIN, RIPE NCC, LACNIC
and APNIC.
 http://www.afrinic.org/Montevideo-June-2003.html can give you more
ligtht on this.
 I however think that we're swaying from the original issue here....