[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Adiel AKPLOGAN adiel at akplogan.net
Thu Sep 25 05:19:57 EDT 2003

Hello,

>Right.  That's why I think AfriNIC is vaporware for now and we should
>not set ARIN policy exceptions based on the theory that eventually AfriNIC
>(whatever it may become) would possibly adopt said policy.  If ISPs in
>Sub-saharan Africa want to be handled by the Afri-mini registry within
>RIPE, I don't see a problem with transferring that responsibility from
>ARIN to said mini-registry.

Let me clarify some inappropriate assumption here about AfriNIC:

o AfrNIC as organization and AfriNIC as RIR is not a vaporware.
The Afrinic Initiative certainly start in 1997, but a lot of progress
was done since then. Our main goal is to get a global consensus
on everything we are doing. Africa is very particular...we have differents
culture, differents language, differents colonization background...an so
and so..
We need to bring everybody together to have a very strong and
sustainable organization.
Today all of these differences are behind us. And AfriNIC is an African
organization supported by the whole community, and on the
process of becoming a recognize RIR www.afrinic.org

o AfriNIC is not running any mini-registry at RIPE. AfriNIC team
are being trained at RIPE as they will probably be at ARIN too.
This is to help during transition from the two different policies
to AfriNIC own one.

>However, until that happens, I still don't
>see justification for creating an exception instead of fixing the policy
>for everyone.

The justification is that ARIN is serving two different region (Continent).
And unfortunately the two have a totally different political, social and
economical background. You can not design a business model for America
and African using the same figure...try it you will loose. This should be
applicable for Internet 'PUBLIC' resource too.

>On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Gregory Massel wrote:
>Why does a NIC need offices in 4 countries?

Please read the rapport on the web site.
http://www.afrinic.org/Kampala-15062003-Report-Back.txt

>RIPE seems to have _an_  office in The Netherlands.  A
>RIN seems to have _an_ office in VA.

LACNIC has 3 offices and they running very well. We are
not oblige to follow North American or Europe administration model.
We have our own realities...and we are dealing with them to
better serve our community.

>Who's going to fund AfriNIC's 4 offices in 4
>countries with >4x the overhead of
>a single office?

We are working on that....and it is not impossible.

Regards.

- a.