[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Gregory Massel gregm at datapro.co.za
Wed Sep 24 17:45:15 EDT 2003

> 6 years later, it's still not operational?  How long do you get before
> it's properly called vaporware?

You underestimate the amount of work that goes into establishing such an
operation, building up the support of the various Internet communities,
obtaining sponsorships, etc. The history is on the AfriNIC web site
(www.afrinic.org) and I'd encourage you to read it.

> > - AfriNIC is in the process of setting up offices in four countries
(Egypt,
> > Ghana, Mauritius and South Africa)
>
> Why does a NIC need offices in 4 countries?  RIPE seems to have _an_
> office in The Netherlands.  ARIN seems to have _an_ office in VA.  Who's
> going to fund AfriNIC's 4 offices in 4 countries with >4x the overhead of
> a single office?

This is beyond the ambit of the ARIN public policy mailing list and I'm sure
there are many people who would be able to comment on the correct forum.

A corporate plan can be found at
http://www.afrinic.org/AfriNICCorporatePlan-v0.1.shtml

If you have any concerns or comments regarding the funding, I'd strongly
suggest joining the relevent AfriNIC mailing list where such issues are
discussed. Please ensure you are familiar with the plan before knocking it.

Regards
Greg