[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Johann Botha joe at frogfoot.net
Wed Sep 24 12:58:10 EDT 2003

Hi Owen                                          >@2003.09.24_18:29:58_+0200

> I believe we need this change globally, and, I see nothing so far that
> makes Africa a special case.  I will support this proposal if it is
> ARIN global.  I will not support this proposal if it is sub-region specific.
> What AfriNIC may or may not do after it gets created if it gets created
> is not something I am willing to consider a factor in developing ARIN
> policy.  I don't see any reason to wait or hamper growth in North America
> or Africa.  I certainly don't see a reason to give <=10000 user ISPs in
> Africa an advantage over <=10000 user ISPs in North America.

In principle I support 2002-3, but..

* It may have a much bigger impact on the size of the global routing table
* If by supporting 2002-3 and letting 2003-15 slide we end up without
  consensus or a long timeline until we see this as policy, then I'm sure you
  can see why I would rather focus my voice/effort behind 2003-15.
* I see ARIN (and others) as babysitting Africa's RIR services,
  try to think of this as a decision AfriNIC should be taking but cant and
  is asking for your your support.

So I think what I'm saying is.. please dont stand in the way of 2003-15, or
at least carefully think about why you would want to.. and rather help us
get this done quickly.. after which you can use it as precedent to better
the argument for 2002-3.

--
Regards                  ..Friends don't let friends use Outlook
 Johann

          'Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.'
                                 - Leonardo da Vinci
 Johann L. Botha      Frogfoot Networks ISP              AS22355
 joe at frogfoot.net     http://www.frogfoot.net/
 +27.82.562.6167      Built and Managed with Attention to Detail
 0860 KERMIT
 http://blue.frogfoot.net/