[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Adiel AKPLOGAN adiel at akplogan.net
Wed Sep 24 05:46:46 EDT 2003

Hello,

>As soon as a second carrier is introduced, there is bound to be some shuffle
>to the new provider. Likewise with a third carrier (we can dream, can't we).
>In such a case would it not be unrealistic to expect said smaller ISP to ask
>all its customers to renumber simply because it has changed its upstream to
>save dollars?

I think this point is very important. As it is not always easy to
justify that you have to renumber every time you change
your upstream provider....and i can tell you that this happen
very often in our environment...

*** for those wondering why ISP can not get IP from their upstream?
One reason can be the coast for raising their
membership level (category) according to the RIR fees model.
Using more IP address by providing smaller blocks to their
down stream can and up at their end  with the need to move
to higher membership level and then paying more for IP block
allocated to them....

- a.

Adiel AKPLOGAN - Ingenieur réseau - RHCE / CSS
20, Boulevard Richard-Lenoir - 75011 Paris - FRANCE
Hm: +33 (0)1 49 23 02 87 | Mob: +33 (0)6 72 75 80 49
e-mail: adiel at akplogan.net | Web: www.akplogan.net