[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Abdul Rehman Gani abdulg-lists at eastcoast.co.za
Tue Sep 23 03:02:12 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 22:54, Alec H. Peterson wrote:
> --On Monday, September 22, 2003 16:47 -0400 Member Services

> I am curious, why are African ISPs unable to obtain sufficient address
> space from their upstream providers?  Is the issue that such upstreams
> don't themselves qualify under ARIN's current policies?

African ISP's tend to be smaller because of local conditions. Although
we can obtain required addresses from our upstream, we are at a stage
where we would like reduce dependence on our upstream (changing
upstreams involves renumbering) and, possibly, start multihoming.
Unfortunately both of those are difficult to impossible without our own
allocation. Reducing the allocation size will allow us to obtain our own
space without prejudicing us for maintaining policies wrt to efficient
usage of space (ie allocating smaller (/28 - /32) blocks to NATted
clients)

Regards

Abdul