[ppml] Allocation and reallocation

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Thu Oct 30 10:40:30 EST 2003

>While Mr. Dillion wants an overnight rewrite into a fully self-consistent
>numbered and indexed policy I think that's a bit much to do in one
>step.  However, I think the end point he wants to reach is a good
>one, and we should support an iterative process to get them.

I've never suggested an overnight rewrite into a fully
self-consistent policy. However I have suggested an overnight
rewrite into a *NUMBERED* policy as an incremental step
towards a policy that is indexed and more self consistent.
Numbering the sentences and paragraphs in a policy is
not hard as long as you resist the temptation to fix up
the grammar and the language as you go along.

I would still like to see some rewriting of portions
of the policy to clarify the meaning and make it easier to
explain to outsiders, i.e. management in member companies.
This is the harder part and I wanted to begin it by
dealing with the whole issue of allocation, assignment,
and the properties of address blocks.

Along the way, recent discussion clearly showed that there
is some confusion regarding the definition of "utilization"
and the calculation of "utilization rates" but that can
easily be handled incrementally as a separate item.

There's no need to bundle together numbered sentences,
allocation/assignment rethink and clarification of
utilization. History has shown that we are a lot more
successful in revising policy if we keep the focus fairly
narrow when we get down to writing a proposal.

--Michael Dillon