[ppml] Allocation and reallocation

CJ Wittbrodt cjw at groovy.com
Mon Oct 27 20:21:57 EST 2003

Owen,

    RIRs issue PI space.  LIRs issue PA space.  [LR]IRs issue allocations to
    entities which will divide that space up for customer use.  [LR]IRs issue
    assignments to entities which will use that space for their own purposes.

Not all LIRs (ISPs) issue allocations to entities which will divide
that space up for customer use.  They certainly may do that, but
a lot of ISPs do not sell to other ISPs.  I know the networks I worked
on in the past didn't do that.  We made assignments to organizations
that were PA space and not subject to subdivision.

---CJ