[ppml] Follow on to 2003-4, and suggested change.

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Oct 27 12:05:23 EST 2003

In that case, I would argue that DSL providers would face the same need to hand
out /48s to their customers.  Afterall, I am a residential ADSL subscriber with
multiple subnets and several routers at the end of my DSL connections.  THere
are enough people like me (and there would be more if most ADSL providers
didn't have such desperate need for anal cranectomies) that I do not think
you can safely say that all residential DSL customers should get a /64.

I agree with Leo that if the customer topology indicates no layer 3 routing
devices, the customer should receive a /64.  If they later decide to add
some layer 3 devices, they can (and should) renumber into a /48.

Owen