[ppml] Re: [address-policy-wg] Is the time for conservation over?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Oct 27 11:09:27 EST 2003

In a message written on Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 07:58:10AM -0800, David Conrad wrote:
> The obvious implication of this is that it pretty much guarantees the
> creation of a new and potentially much bigger swamp.

A new swamp, yes.  Bigger, I'm not so sure.

From http://www.cymru.com/BGP/robbgp01.html there are 132658 prefixes
(max, from the last month) in the table.  From
http://www.cymru.com/BGP/asncount01.html there are 16181 ASN's (max
from the last month) in the table.

If every ASN had a single IPv6 /32 the IPv6 table would be 12% of
the current IPv4 routing table.

So, while I don't mike Mr. Dillion's current proposal, I don't think
that something along the lines of "everyone with an asn and one or
more IPv4 blocks can receive one IPv6 block of appropriate size"
would be a bad thing.  Indeed, I'd rather see each ASN with it's
own /32 than see some get /48's from three providers and start
reannouncing them (which is a big part of the current IPv4 table
bloat).