[ppml] Allocation and reallocation

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Oct 27 11:02:28 EST 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> I'd like to ask a simple question of those on the list:
>
>   Is there a technical reason to have a distinction between ASSIGNMENT
>   and ALLOCATION?

Are you talking about ASSIGNMENT|ALLOCATION by ARIN or in general?  When I
allocate IPs to an ISP customer, ARIN creates an ORG ID (i.e. we're INCC)
for the holder of the allocation, allowing them to submit swips.  If ARIN
had to do this for every customer we assign (in the generic, not ARIN
meaning) IPs to, most of whom will never submit a swip, the number of ORG
IDs would skyrocket for no good reason.

I agree that assignment/allocation are a bit too non-descriptive and very
easy to use confusingly (as I almost did above).  Maybe they should be
swipable (allocation) and non-swipable (assignment) and then we wouldn't
have to be careful about which of allocation|assignment we used.

 Atlantic Net                |