[ppml] allocate/assign

CJ Wittbrodt cjw at groovy.com
Thu Oct 23 17:32:33 EDT 2003

Bill,

Allocations can be broken up into assignments and given to customers,
but assignments can not be further delegated to other organizations,
or customers.

----CJ

    From: bmanning at karoshi.com
    Subject: [ppml] allocate/assign

    Ok...

    	grousing about terms leads me to put my personal thoughts to
    	phosphor (or LCD analog):

    allocated:  Internet resources earmarked for specific use. period.
    assigned:   an allocation is bound to a duely vetted party who agrees
    	    to manage the allocation according to the "principles of
    	    stewardship" (from the ARIN mission stmt)

    	such an assignment is considered delegated when such allocations
    	and assignments are published - say via whois and DNS, perhaps
    	in an rdb.

    	thoughts?
    --bill