[ppml] New ARIN Sub-region Policy Proposal (Rural-America)

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Wed Oct 8 05:39:16 EDT 2003

At 05:00 PM 10/7/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>> >The ARIN sub-region known as "Rural America", those
>> >localities with a population of less than 1 million
>> >persons here by proposes the following Policy Proposal.
>>
>>This is an example of a poorly thought out
>>policy proposal. It doesn't conform to the

>This is an example of determining how many people will accept a
>double-standard when there ought not be.

>John's analogy is excellent.

ARIN has always had policies that apply
to only a subset of the organizations in the
ARIN region. For instance, some policies
are directed at ISPs and others at end users.
Some are directed at small ISPs just beginning
to multihome, others to larger ISPs that
are expanding their use of IP addresses and
yet others to organizations who are
beginning to use IPv6.

When ARIN first shifted the minimum allocation
size, it was to make it easier for the large
number of smaller independent ISPs to get
a portable block of addresses to enable them to
multihome. That policy was targetted at a specific
subset of ISPs and had no impact whatsoever on
the larger ISPs of the day like UUNET.

There is a good argument to be made for
making it easier for low population areas
to get portable address space, but this is
not the time or the place. I'd really like
to see this sort of thing discussed at the
policy BOF before it gets to the proposal
stage.

--Michael Dillon