[ppml] New ARIN Sub-region Policy Proposal (Rural-America)

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Tue Oct 7 12:00:49 EDT 2003

>The ARIN sub-region known as "Rural America", those
>localities with a population of less than 1 million
>persons here by proposes the following Policy Proposal.

This is an example of a poorly thought out
policy proposal. It doesn't conform to the
simple structure requested by ARIN on the
website and it wasn't submitted to the ARIN
Member Services prior to being announced.
Given that this is being proposed a couple
of weeks before the meeting, I think it should
also have started life in the Policy BOF
that was expressly created to help people
put together better, more coherent policy
proposals.

>3.  Utilization Reporting and Justification.  All other
>ARIN policies reguarding the reporting of justification information
>for the allocation of IPv4 address space will remain
>in effect.

Totally unneccesary verbage. A policy proposal
onle ever changes the parts of policy that it changes.
There is no need to say that the rest of the
policies will be unchanged.

>4.  IPv6 considerations:  Rural America providers are eager
>to start testing and deploying IPv6 networks.  Rural America
>operators have the ability to deploy IPv6 quicker than larger
>providers.  Therefor, providers that receive IPv4 space
>under this policy shall also be permitted to request and
>receive a single /48 of IPv6 space.  This will help enable
>rural providers and move them forward with IPv6 technology.
>Further allocations will be handled under current IPv6 policy.

This is a radical change to the IPv6 policy and should
really be discussed on its own. This is the equivalent
of saying that rural ISPs should get a single /32 allocation
of IPv4 addresses which is ludicrous. If there is some
reason why this class of ISP cannot justify an IPv6 /32
then we should work on changing that aspect of the
IPv6 policy.

>5.  Pricing.  The ARIN BOT will review and evaluate the pricing
>for these allocations, taking into strong consideration the
>economic conditions of Rural America providers.  The suggested
>"cost" for these allocations will be $1250 USD per year.

This item is not a policy change; it is a request
for the BoT to review and act. It doesn't belong
in a policy proposal and may, indeed, have merit
on its own as an item of business at an ARIN meeting
outside of the policy process.

--Michael Dillon