[ppml] Afrinic and so-called sub-regional policies

Trevor Paquette Trevor.Paquette at TeraGo.ca
Tue Oct 7 11:19:09 EDT 2003

If you had read my entire post you would have seen the following:
"... as in the case of LACNIC, which is based more on a common language and culture, then on something that is continental in scope."

> Where are these arguments going?

Don't assume that this is a 'one time deal". When you set policy, you set precident. As mentioned in a previous email of mine, policy set by and for ARIN should apply to ALL of ARIN, not just a sub-region.

If and when AFRINIC gets going and can actually set their OWN policies, then they can do what they want for their region(s). Until then and as long as they are part of ARIN, they must abide by the guidelines that are setout for all of ARIN.

If they want to relax their requirements for IP space once they become their own RIR, then they are free to do so; in fact I encourage it as there seems to be a demand from their own special needs.

This is my point. I hope that makes it clear.