[ppml]How far is too far?

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Fri Oct 3 08:30:30 EDT 2003

> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 10:42:34AM -0400, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> > In general those without an AS should be getting from their upstream.
> > I can see how larger, yet single homed entities might want their
> > own RIR space so they don't have to renumber when they move, and
> > that's ok.
>
> There is no ASN requirement currently for end-user space
That is fine for larger (/20 or even preferably /19 blocks).

> (aka assignments).  So should,
> 1) a change from /20 to /22 for assignments require ASN from some RIR
Yes. Yes. Yes.

> 2) should ALL assignments (micro or not) be required an ASN>
> 3) should NO assignments (mirco or not) be required an ASN ??
All micro assignments and allocations should generally require ASN.

But I'm willing to give an exception for micro-allocation for African region
primarily because of how bad situation is described there with monopoly
telcos in some countries. I do not believe this is a problem in US or Canada.

To clarify if 5 questions are to be asked the way I sent it yesterday, I would
vote no on question 3 (modifying 2003-15 to be for entire arin region) but
would vote yes on question 4 (modifying 2003-15 for entire arin region but
only allow micro-allocations if organization has an ASN and is multihomed)
and I would vote yes on question 5 (2003-15 as-is allowing for special
circumstance of non-multihomed ISP in African getting a micro-allocation).

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net