[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Thu Oct 2 00:15:48 EDT 2003

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Owen DeLong wrote:

> > Nevertheless, I think that you will agree that ARIN's policies are the
> > most restrictive of the four RIRs, in the sense of restricting the
> > smaller ISP.
> Yes... That's why they need to be changed ARIN wide.

I completely agree and have voiced this opinion for last several years on
ARIN meetings (sometimes the only one saying this). I very much want ARIN
to be less centric towards policies that benefit larger ISPs and businesses
and want them to provide micro-allocations like this is done at other RIRs.

But, at the same time, I do not think that blocking AfriNIC proposal (don't
pick on the wording here) in order to achieve these ARIN goals is fair
practice and its also disregarding their immediate needs and as others
pointed, ultimately it would yet again show how americans take their
self-interests above everything else in the rest of the world.

I think the best way to do is to allow south africans those micro-allocations
(in part to have more members from that area for future AfriNIC) and work
separately towards extending 2002-3 to include micro-allocations or
possibly making micro-assignments something "neutral" which includes
notion of micro-allocations (i.e. companies that got micro-assignment
block can if they want subswip it to their customers as if it was a
micro-allocation).

---
William Leibzon
Elan Networks