[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

William Stucke William at zanet.co.za
Wed Oct 1 05:20:31 EDT 2003

Leo Bicknell said: -

> Part of what bothers me here is that 6 or 12 months ago when 2002-3
discussion was going on I don't recall many (or any, really) of the
"Africa People" who have been supporting 2003-15 stepping up to
voice their support.

The answer to that is very simple. I, for one, hadn't heard of this list,
and wasn't aware that there was a possible method for me to influence ARIN
policy. That changed two weeks ago, when we held the AfriNIC session at
iWeek, which included an ARIN meeting.

> There is a real problem that having both proposals in the system
will split the vote.

Really? I know very little about ARIN politics, but I had no idea it was a
"one horse race" where only *ONE* proposal may be accepted at a time. If
that's not the case, then the issue of "splitting the vote" doesn't arise.

> Now, if we're going to join forces, it's going to be behind 2002-3,
or a new proposal that is global, and includes allocations and
assignments.

My understanding of 2002-3 is that it does NOT include both allocations AND
assignments, so it still doesn't do what you want.

Owen DeLong asked: -

> However, is there an AfriNIC discussion list equivalent to PPML?

Yes. It's called AfriNIC-Discuss. That's how many of us heard about the PPML
list. See attached notification. (Are attachments allowed on this list?)

Regards,

William Stucke
ZAnet Internet Services (Pty) Ltd
+27 11 465 0700