[ppml] Last Call for Comment: Policy Proposal 2003-3

Ian Baker ibaker at codecutters.org
Thu Nov 20 10:14:20 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <Michael.Dillon at radianz.com>
To: <ppml at arin.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: [ppml] Last Call for Comment: Policy Proposal 2003-3

> >"Ah, that'd do nicely, sir - we can even reduce the funding for our AUP
> team
> >without anyone being the wiser"
>
> You seem to be saying that an ISP could be colluding with
> spammers by ignoring any abuse complaints about the spammer's
> IP addresses. This may indeed happen but it is not ARIN's
> job to do anything about it.

Correct. Although it would help if someone didn't scrub the entire database
that /does/ exist.

> ARIN is still publishing the contact information of the
> colluding ISP. They may be able to ignore complaints from
> 3rd parties but they won't be able to ignore complaints
> from their peers or their customers. It is trivial to
> identify the peers of a rogue ISP in order to file a complaint
> about the rogue.
>
> This all comes back to the purpose of the whois directory.

<snip>

> I might be persuaded that whois should also serve some
> research or network forensic goal. Perhaps we really
> should publish all assignments down to a /29 level with
> a class-of-user and a city-of-service and city-for-billing.
> Some people would find it useful to distinguish between
> addresses used by residential users, companies, non-profit
> organizations, schools, etc. Some people would find it
> useful to know that the city-for-billing of address blocks
> used for spamming mostly clusters in a few counties of
> south Florida. But in order to do this we need to
> make a clear distinction of when contact information
> should be published and when only research information
> should be published.

All correct - we just disagree about the purpose. For /your/ purpose, you
could happily get by with a very small subset of the data currently
available. Wholesale erasure would not be a problem.

For some of us, this would be undesirable, to say the least.

Regards,

Ian