[ppml] Policy Proposal -- Limit Scope of Anonymous Allocations

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Nov 18 22:42:33 EST 2003

I'd like to compare two situations I see in the residential customer
market space, and get some comments with respect to your concerns.

Provider type #1:

   - Typically Cable Modem based.
   - Typically allows users 1-10 addresses, all assigned via DHCP.
   - Since addresses are assigned by DHCP never SWIP's space.
   - Since addresses are assigned by DHCP, users can hop addresses
     to hide their activities.
   - All requests must go to the ISP.

Provider type #2:

   - Typically DSL based.
   - Typically assigns a /27-/32.
   - Typically SWIP's space.

I bring this up because the discussion we've had pretty much only
applies to provider type #2.  Even if I accept your argument that
we need to make them SWIP all space with real information, we've
only solved part of the problem, right?  For any policy that requires
information for residential SWIP's to be truly effective wouldn't
we also have to address the provider #1 case?

To fix provider type #1, do we:

   - Not allow them to use DHCP to assign residential customers,
     mandating static assignments and SWIP's?
   - Mandate automated mechanisms to query the owner of a DHCP
     assigned address?
   - Do something I haven't considered?

If the problem is really that important it would seem to me we need
to fix both cases.  That doesn't mean they need to be tied together
(in the same policy), but rather that there should be proposals to
address both issues.  If it's not important to address the provider
type #1, then why is it so important to address this for provider
type #2?  What is different about a user who has 8 IP's assigned
via DHCP, and 8 IP's assigned via static routing?