[ppml] FYI: LACNIC micro-allocation policy approved and implemented

Einar Bohlin einar.bohlin at mci.com
Mon May 19 10:54:10 EDT 2003

Part of me says this could be interesting to allow
to happen and watch the results.  But I have think
about the customers.  I deal with a lot of them.  And the
overwhelming majority of them do not mind or complain about
getting nets from us, especially since those nets work just
fine.  The last time a customer wanted to get their own
"Class C" from the registry was in 2000 or 2001. This
includes multihomed customers.

I think it would be awful for them to consider getting
nets directly from ARIN.  And it would be even worse for
them to get nets and subsequently have routing problems that
we'd have to explain.  And then we'd probably have to renumber these
guys into our nets anyway for them to get the full routing that
they want and expect to get.

It'd be a great disservice to endusers to lead them to ARIN
to get nets that are sure to have have routing problems.

Today endusers have thankfully gotten used to getting their
nets from their providers.  Assuming we eventually move
to v6, that won't change.

I'm open to change, but why change this now?  To me this
is a giant step backwards.

Regards,

Einar Bohlin, IP Analyst
IP Team - Ashburn Virginia - MCI/UUNET