[ppml] 2003-5 rwhois/reassignment info

Einar Bohlin einar.bohlin at mci.com
Wed May 7 14:59:30 EDT 2003

It's ARIN's job to to evaluate for efficient utilization.
And honestly it never occured to me that the general public
would want to evaluate ARIN to make sure they did efficient
evaluations.  But I can see that.  I think this would
fall in the research category.  ARIN is still going to
have to keep all this info.  And some of it should
be available, perhaps via a modified version of the
bulk whois policy.

One thing I forgot to mention, it's been rumored that
some reassignment info in Canada is protected by
the 'The Personal Information Protection and Electronic
Documents Act.'  See:
http://privcom.gc.ca/legislation/02_06_01_e.asp

I haven't read it, and IANAL, but I heard there
is stuff in here which would makes an ISP not want
to provide customer info at all in swips to residential
customers.

And again, ISPs are not in the business of providing
info for blacklisters.  In fact, ISPs should be concerned
about that if that's all they're doing.

Regards,

Einar Bohlin, IP Analyst
IP Team - Ashburn Virginia - MCI/UUNET