[ppml] 2003-5 rwhois/reassignment info

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Tue May 6 18:57:53 EDT 2003

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Einar Bohlin wrote:

> And without a specific POC for a reassignment,
> why does utilization info need to be publicly visible any
> more?  It seems to me the POC was for the public, and it'll

> Who needs to see utilization info?
> ----------------------------------
>
> Blacklisters and anti-spam unsolicited mail generators.
> No comment.

Then I will. :)
Public reassignment data allows others (whether it's central dnsbl
maintainers or individual ISPs or end users) to handle abuse issues when
the spammer's provider does not.  If a provider chooses to host spammers,
it's nice to be able to see via whois that the spammer has a /24, /25,
etc. and know that blocking that space will reduce your received spam
with no collateral damage rather than do a whois query and find that the
IP is part of a /8, /16, etc. assigned to some "big provider" and then
have to do additional work to figure out or just guess how much space the
spammer has.

Removing whatever requirements we currently have for public reassignment
data will just make it that much easier for spammers to hide inside large
providers.  i.e. we'll all get more spam.

If anything, I'd like to see more requirements (or enforcement...not that
ARIN seems to have any teeth) for publicly available reassignment data.

> Question:
> Why is the swip cutoff at /29?  Has anyone had to deal
> with savvy customers coming in repeatedly for /30s?

We have lots of customers using /30's.  The most common uses for /30's on
our network are point to point connections and customers with firewalls,
where the firewall and their internet router are the only public IPs they
need.  Being able to swip /30's would make additional space applications
shorter.  It might seriously increase the amount of data in ARIN's
database though...I'd wild guess it might double or more the amount of
data.

 Atlantic Net                |