[ppml] The WIANA registry

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Fri May 2 05:29:56 EDT 2003

>1. If they are assigned later the space they hijacked, this legitimates
>hijacking and the next thing you know every mom and pop network on earth
>is going to hijack address space and try to get it legitimized. Hey, why
>not me too?

Experience shows that slippery slopes rarely work that way because there
are usually many limiting factors that prevent things from getting out of
hand. In this instance, I think that there is some precedent for what
WIANA is doing with IP addresses. Their activities are not that different
from what AMPR does with 44/8. See here for more info on AMPR
http://www.ampr.org/amprnet.html

I think that this factor alone will prevent every mom and pop network on
earth from trying to hijack address space.

>2. If they are not assigned the space and 1.0.0.0/8 is delegated to
>someone else they're going to whine about IANA or ARIN or whoever being
>that all-mighty evil entity that does not understand the need of the
>people blah blah.

Exactly. That's why I think that the RIR community and IANA should work
with WIANA now to legitimize their claim for IP address space. They do
have a legitimate claim to a globally unique block and they are totally
unlike the normal applicants for RIR space. Whether or not their activity
justifies a whole /8, I don't know. But looking at the way that 44/8 is
being managed and also the way that 24/8 was issued to the cable industry,
I expect that it is reasonable to reserve 1/8 for possible future wireless
network growth and to issue some subset of 1/8 today.

>That's a lose-lose situation. If they could justify the space they
>should have requested it in the first place instead of hijacking it.

Clearly they did apply somewhere for address space and were turned down.
The whole IP address allocation issue is so bloody confusing and poorly
documented that it does not surprise me that they went off on their own.

Does any RIR have a simple and clear set of instructions for first-time
applicants to follow that includes an appeal procedure? NO! And that is
the crux of the problem with organizations that are not mainstream ISPs.

P.S. to WIANA:
There are archives of this past week of mailing list discussion at
http://www.arin.net/mailing_lists/index.html
under the IP Allocations Policies Working Group.

--Michael Dillon