[ppml] The WIANA registry

Schultz, Ken Ken.Schultz at marconi.com
Thu May 1 09:18:13 EDT 2003

As I understand this, the WIANA has done what thousands of companies before
them have done -- they numbered their internal private network with
addresses that did not "belong" to them. Many companies have done this and
used RFC1918 space, many others have not. (Mine is one that uses both).

How is this any different? Sure, they have suggested that they might in the
future ask to assigned this address space for real. Well, I can state a lot
of things that I'd like to ask for. It certainly does not mean that I will
get them.

If at some point in time they have a need for assigned address space, they
would need to go through the same process as everyone else. If they find an
ISP dumb....er...short-sighted enough to announce the 1/8 space without a
proper address assignment, then that's a problem for that ISP and any other
ISP that accepts the advertisement.

However, IF they do follow the proper process to request address space AND
they can actually justify through that the process the assignment of a full
/8 network, then who gets hurt by giving them the address space that they
are already using?

Of course, by the time they get to that point, the 1/8 might be assigned to
someone else and they'd have to renumber their internal network. Well, they
are assigning their internal address space dynamically I hope. Either way,
they'd be in the same boat as thousands of other companies that have needed
to renumber their internal networks.

If they don't go through the proper process or can't justify that much
address space, then they don't get the address space that they want. Simple,
end of story.

There may indeed be problems with the registry process, but one
organization's use of a non-1918 address block on an internal network is
certainly not one of them.