[ppml] 2003-1a: Required Performance of Abuse Contact: Good - ARIN Should Not Define Abuse or Mediate Disputes

Mury mury at goldengate.net
Wed Mar 12 03:02:01 EST 2003

I've been thinking about this since the revised policy proposal came out.
I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first, but I've come to this
conclusion.

1) The part that deals with required and *usable* abuse contacts is a good
one.

2) The part that attempts to deal with revocation of IP space due to abuse
is bad.

I don't think it is practical nor desirable for ARIN to try to attempt to
settle abuse situations.  That really should be left up to a court.  Even
if ARIN did attempt to deal with severe abuse situations it would probably
end up in court any way.

However, it makes complete sense for ARIN to "revoke" IP space for not
having accurate and usable points of contact listed.

If an abused party is able to contact the IP space holder by the abuse
contacts listed, ARIN has fulfilled it's role.  At that point the abused
party can discuss the situation with the offending party and take it to
court if they need to.

If the abused party is unable to contact the offending party using the
abuse contact information listed they can ask ARIN to intercede.  If ARIN
is also unable to contact the IP space holder, ARIN will revoke the IP
space.

I think the main crux of the original policy was to require a real
response from abuse contacts.  This is good.  To define the grey lines of
abuse and mediate disputes should not be ARIN's responsibility.

Mury