[ppml] RIR shopping -- AND MORE

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Mon Mar 3 19:58:09 EST 2003

At 4:35 PM -0800 3/3/03, David Kessens wrote:

>What we really need is a global policy platform. The current policy
>process doesn't scale and the real cause of different policies is lack
>of communication between the different regions. The problems that we
>have with certain policies are not at all unique to our region -
>having attended many of the different regions policy meetings, I see
>the same problems (and simular but not the same solutions) coming up
>in the different regions.

I think we all see this happening, but it's hard keep things in sync between
the regions when the members take different stands on how to solve the
same problems.   It's very common for RIPE or APNIC's policies on a given
situation to come up during discussion at the members meeting, but that
doesn't always lead to our members taking the same approach.

If folks feel strongly about tighter inter-RIR coordination of policy formation,
that would be a great item to raise in Memphis.   If there's a consensus for
tighter coupling with the other RIRs, I'm certain the ARIN AC would heed it.

/John