[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-3: Residential Customer Privacy

john at chagres.net john at chagres.net
Fri Jul 25 15:30:05 EDT 2003

I disagree with your LERG comparison.

Having a NPA/NXX "allocation" is NOT the same as having 3 phone lines
at home (otherwords an "assignment").

LERG is ALLOCATION
Phone number is ASSIGNMENT.

The end user is not required under RIR rules to justify usage to
the RIR, only the LIR is required to support and justify their
usage of the space received from the RIR.  If the end user is able
meet the LIR's requirements, then that is al they need to do.

The telephone company doesn't question me about why I need 3 lines
at home.

I for one do not want my cable company listing my home address with
the static IP I have.  Its no ones business where I live, and its
most certainly NOT the RIR's domain to require that my home address
be listed because I received an assignment.

People talk about NAT, some recent state laws could be read as making
NAT illegal....