[ppml] Increase the flexibility of IP allocations to facilitate planning

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jul 23 21:29:19 EDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, McBurnett, Jim wrote:

> Yeah...that wouldn't be reasonable or inline with ARIN guidelines if you
> assign each customer many times more IPs than they think they may ever
> need.
> ---
>
> Isn't there 1 caveat to that?
>  multi-homeing?
> I multihome- but I dont use 80%.

That's a special case that's been handled.  If you're mulihomed, that's
justification enough for a /24.  http://www.arin.net/policy/2001_2.html

> And there is no way to multihome with a /26

Technically, there's nothing stopping you from announcing your /26 to
multiple providers...but I suspect lots of networks would ignore the
route (and use the less specific to get at least back to the provider that
assigned it to you...and if they peer with your other provider, packets
might still get to you if your primary link is down).

 Atlantic Net                |