[ppml] Increase the flexibility of IP allocations to facilitate planning

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Wed Jul 23 09:10:26 EDT 2003

>Many of us have complained about those not following the RFC-
>I forget the # at the moment- with concerns towards postmaster, abuse
etc.
>and I personally have been told by an ISP, that "we do not SWIP" blocks.

>If we are going to increase the flex here, should we not see if they are
>following the basic policies first?

I don't agree. I think a major reason why people aren't following the
existing rules is that they are too rigid. It would be a mistake to apply
pressure to follow the existing policy because it could end up breaking
the entire RIR structure. It is a significant benefit to the IP network
operator industry to have this membership-based RIR structure instead of
the webwork of government bureacracies (FCC, PUCs) that the telephone
industry has to deal with. We need to make this structure work, not break
it.

A wiser course of action would be to rationalise the whole set of ARIN
policies to make them into something that members can comply with.

>1. Does the user have complaints about violation of ARIN IPv4 policies?

As far as I know we have no policing functions in the RIRs, or IANA or
ICANN. Also, IANA is barely functional at this point in time and that's
the only point of appeal specified in policy. Instead of complaining about
policy violators, people simply adopt the same behavior as the policy
violators.

>2. Can we do an actual spot check to see if the user is following the
policies?

If member organizations have such a hard time tracking their own IP
address inventory, what hope do we have of imposing an external audit
requirement?

>3. Is there whois data actually correct?

Let's go back one step further. Is there any reason at all for publishing
whois data? What is the purpose of whois data? If the reason for doing
this was clearer and there was a clearly identified purpose for each bit
of whois data, then people would take more care to publish it correctly. I
believe that we can best cleanse the whois data by getting rid of most of
it because it serves no purpose. It originated as a list of people using
the resources provided by the DARPA's "Internet" project back in the days
before PC's when everyone used timesharing systems. From that time to
this, nobody has really taken a hard look at what is the point of this
whole thing.

--Michael Dillon