[ppml] Increase the flexibility of IP allocations to facilitate planning

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Jul 22 20:00:50 EDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Whipple, Scott (CCI-Atlanta) wrote:

> > Organizations are penalized for using IPv4 addresses efficiently because
> > if they do so, they have no internal buffer of hidden IPv4 addresses that
> > they can use in the event that an allocation request is denied or delayed.
> > The net effect is to encourage organizations to keep a secret stash of IP
> > addresses that they could use if necessary.
>
> This paragraph makes no sense.  If you are efficiently utilizing your
> space there would be no reason to be denied or delayed in getting
> additional space.  Where as, if you were keeping a secret stash of IP
> space, that would be the perfect example to get delayed or denied.

Sure it does.  If you're not terribly efficient or padded your utilization
numbers a little, you can always trim the fat and clean things up if you
run out of space before you get through the application process and game
of 20 questions with ARIN.

> I would also disagree that the 80% usage requirement is to stringent.
> I think if you use your space wisely and submit your request as you
> reach 80% you should have no problem getting your request approved and
> your new block allocated before running out.

Just guessing here...but I suspect the difficulty most networks have with
dealing with ARIN is the "sloppy start" method that current and recent
ARIN regulations facilitate.  i.e. For your first allocation, ARIN will
give you up to 2x as much space as you can justify.  Depending on the type
of network you run and how you grow, that initial allocation could take
months, perhaps years to fully utilize.  That gives you alot of time for
your IP allocation records to get disorganized, outdated, and generally a
mess.  It's been my experience (with multiple networks) that once the
initial allocation is used up and ARIN is sufficiently convinced that you
have indeed used it up, they'll double your allocation.  If you started
with a /20, they give you a /20 to make it a /19.  If you started with a
/18, they give you the other half of the /17.  This, again, gives you alot
of time to make a mess of your records.

It doesn't help that there seems to be no suitable tool for tracking IP
utilization to the degree that ARIN applications require...at least none
that I've seen, and I've installed and tested several of the free
ones...and never got anywhere trying to get info or a test drive out of a
commercial one.  This means for the average ISP, ARIN application time is
also IP utilization audit time.  Not a fun time for whoever does it.

If someone were to develop an affordable (to the average small ISP) tool
for IP allocation tracking, and applying for more space was reduced to
filling out a few text fields on the ARIN application and including a
report from your allocation tracking system, I think there'd be alot less
complaining about the 3-month's supply policy by ISPs when they get to
their 3rd allocation and finally get slapped down by the 3-month policy.

I know from experience that if you fill out the ARIN application properly,
and include all the information they want (or explain why some of what
they want doesn't make sense or doesn't apply and supply as much similar
info as you can), they won't have 20 questions, and it won't take
"forever" to get that next allocation you need.

Or maybe some people would like to organize, lay claim to a bunch of IANA
reserved space, and form ORIN (Open Registry for Internet Numbers) :)

 Atlantic Net                |