[ppml] Increase the flexibility of IP allocations to facilitate planning

Whipple, Scott (CCI-Atlanta) Scott.Whipple at cox.com
Tue Jul 22 09:42:11 EDT 2003

> Organizations are penalized for using IPv4 addresses efficiently because
> if they do so, they have no internal buffer of hidden IPv4 addresses that
> they can use in the event that an allocation request is denied or delayed.
> The net effect is to encourage organizations to keep a secret stash of IP
> addresses that they could use if necessary.

This paragraph makes no sense.  If you are efficiently utilizing your space there would be no reason to be denied or delayed in getting additional space.  Where as, if you were keeping a secret stash of IP space, that would be the perfect example to get delayed or denied.

I would also disagree that the 80% usage requirement is to stringent.  I think if you use your space wisely and submit your request as you reach 80% you should have no problem getting your request approved and your new block allocated before running out.

I would however support a 6 month allocation cycle.