[ppml] Policy 2002-5

Taylor, Stacy Stacy_Taylor at icgcomm.com
Thu Jan 30 14:53:04 EST 2003

Hail PPML!

In an effort to prepare for Memphis, I am asking for your opinions once more
about Policy 2002-5, Amnesty Requests.  When we last left this discussion,
we were questioning whether or not it was worth our attention.  After all,
if an organization has space it is not using, it should return the space to
the Registry without a specific impellent policy.

We discussed the potential for abuse of this policy by using it to launder
spam-infected blocks.  Is that a bad thing?  It is up to ARIN staff whether
or not to issue a new block.  Could that process short out the spam
laundering?

Here is the policy as we left it:

If an organization, whether a member or non-member, ISP or end-user,
relinquishes a larger block of portable address space to ARIN, they shall be
allowed to receive a smaller block, /24 or shorter, in exchange.   The
organization will not be required to justify their use of the new, smaller
block.  The organization must return the block to be exchanged within 12
months.  ARIN staff shall, at their discretion, determine whether the
smaller replacement block shall be a subnet of the returned block, or a
block allocated from some different range. If any of the relinquished blocks
had associated maintenance fees, then the new block will be subject to the
appropriate fees for that block size.  Likewise those without maintenance
fees shall remain so.

What do you think?
Thanks,
Stacy