[ppml] back to the IPv6 Policy questions

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 10 11:30:29 EST 2003

> By encouraging IPv6 adoption at the bottom end, this would drive demand,
> and thus the justfication for investment by the top end.

I am sympathetic to the view that we want edges to be able to deploy
IPv6 and not have to wait for their ISP to provide it
(chicken-and-egg). Note that there are also other approaches for using
IPv6 then getting an allocation from an RIR.

There is also 6to4 technology, which turns an end-site's public IPv4
address into a usable IPv6 prefix for entire site. This allows an
endsite to use IPv6 without cooperation from their ISPs. See RFC 3056.

Thomas