[ppml] Any backbones that do route IPv6?

Hyunseog Ryu HRyu at norlight.com
Thu Jan 9 17:32:40 EST 2003

I guess main reason for not seeing IPv6 as a product is because of customer
(technical) support issue and stability issue mostly.

But if you are willing to run IPv6, you can run IPv4/v6 gateway or use IPv4
tunnelling for IPv6 routing.
That's why you are getting different result from different group from same
company.

In my humble opinion, question for product availability of IPv6 is
depending on your situation, not Internet backbone support of IPv6.
Can you support IPv6 setup, and routing issue with your current staffs
including NOC technician?
Can you deploy IPv6 without service impact from current your network
backbone equipment?
More bug from routers? Router ability to support IPv6?
Or other thing you may consider...

I guess most ISP consider that compared to demand for IPv6, they don't want
to risk stability from current platform.

Hyun

Hyunseog Ryu / CCDA, MCSE, CCIE candidate(written test passed)
Senior Network Engineer/Applications Engineering
Norlight Telecommunications, Inc.
275 North Corporate Drive
Brookfield, WI 53045-5818
Tel. +1.262.792.7965
Fax. +1.262.792.7733
email: hryu at norlight.com

                      "John M. Brown"
                      <john at chagres.net        To:       "'David Kessens'" <david at iprg.nokia.com>, "'Mury'"
                      >                         <mury at goldengate.net>
                      Sent by:                 cc:       <ppml at arin.net>, (bcc: Hyunseog Ryu/Brookfield/Norlight)
                      owner-ppml at arin.n        Fax to:
                      et                       Subject:  RE: [ppml] Any backbones that do route IPv6?

                      01/09/2003 04:05
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      john

Ahh, right, back door information.  Which is GOOD in many
cases, and David has previous association with Qwest (if
memory serves me correctly), so knowing the right people
with enable on a router helps.

The issue I think Mury and I are talking about, at least
one of them, is that The normal process of getting connectivity
with a backbone does not see IPv6 as a product.