[ppml] Any backbones that do route IPv6?

John M. Brown john at chagres.net
Thu Jan 9 15:43:34 EST 2003

I think you are missing the point Alec.

Backbones won't deploy because:

* There isn't a demand for it
* Cost to upgrade IOS images
* Cost to train people on how to use it
* Cost to upgrade NOC and other OSS tools

The cost items are related to people not demanding the
service.  As demand grows the relevance of cost to deploy
goes down as a function of potential revenue from a new
product/service offering.

What we have today is a policy that is preventing the
end users from starting to use the technologies.

Lets take an example from the software distribution market.

The players:

Quarterdeck, makers of a memory management tool and Xwindows code

TechData, Ingram, SoftSel, all distributors

CompUSA, ComputerLand, Freds Bait and Software, retailers

Alex, John, Ray and Barb, end users looking for some software
that will manage memory for them.

Now folks like TD, Ingram and others typically don't start
selling someones product unless they can see, pull or the
software company can show push.

Typically you want more PULL thru the channel than you want
PUSH.

That translates into people (end sites) USING AND WANTING
the product that the order it.

With respect to v6, there is no customer demand for it,
retailers (ISP's) aren't stocking it, and backbones (distributors)
aren't stocking it or making it avail for sale.

Early adopters (end clients) can't find it and have to make
without.

The policy today places barriers to sites that wish to really
do work with v6.

In the end you have a stalled out product that needs some
PUSH (more relaxed policy letting more folks get space),
so that PULL will happen and the distributors (backbones)
will start to offer it.

cheers