[ppml] Any backbones that do route IPv6?

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Thu Jan 9 15:31:49 EST 2003

--On Thursday, January 9, 2003 14:35 -0600 Mury <mury at goldengate.net> wrote:

> There was some speculation that backbones were or were not routing IPv6.
> I've checked with Genuity and Qwest and both have told me they have no
> plans to support the routing of IPv6.
>
> Does anyone know of a backbone that will route IPv6?
>
> I know this does not directly pertain to policy, but if it's true that no
> backbones will route IPv6 than perhaps a policy needs to be created to
> encourage them to do so.

I think you're missing the big picture here Mury.

Simply acquiring IPv6 space is not preventing its deployment.  There are
many, many more issues out there surrounding its deployment.  We could pay
backbones $10k each and give each of them a /33 of IPv6 address space and
they still wouldn't deploy it.

Alec

Alec H. Peterson -- ahp at hilander.com
Chief Technology Officer