[ppml] Waiver of IPv6 Fees

McBurnett, Jim jmcburnett at msmgmt.com
Wed Jan 8 14:48:36 EST 2003

I would deploy v6 right now if I got my block for free, and could get my providers to jump on.
But I know they won't. I have already asked.  The network engineers at corporate for both of my providers "are testing" it.
Maybe there should be a policy where as if you have a V4 class C, then a V6 equivalent would be free if you moved.

The problems I see are:
Currently I am getting service from 2 ISPs (multi-homed), and for me to use V6, both of them will have to be
properly setup. One them is multi-homed to ATT and Level 3, the other just changed their primary upstream and moved to ATT also.
Yes, I know my multi-homeing now is not really multi-homing any more.
But until Level 3 and ATT provides V6 to my upstream, I have no prayer to get it without great pains.
I can't imagine tunneling to 6BONE and then setting up all those remote VPN's I have to work with it.

The real problem here is not that people / smaller companies don't want to go to V6, it's that some big providers feel they
won't have a product (IP addresses) that are scarce enough to make people buy them anymore at the rates they are paying now.

I got a deal, I pay nearly the same for a class c with my upstream as a friend pays for 5 static with bell south DSL.
He pays $60 a month for 5.  Could you imagine what would happen if BellSouth and all those DSL providers had customers with DSL would do if their customers were getting free IP addresses?

And let me say quickly, I am not protecting their Business plan, nor an I giving them an excuse, I believe this is what someone in a management position is seeing. (READ NON-NETWORK PROFESSIONAL MANAGEMENT)

I guess the real deal should be:  For a true V6 network implementation down to the customer level, the backbone and network provider will recieve (insert some big sized block) for free for X years, such that the provider must allow end users to have the appropriate # of static IP's for free also for the length of the contract.

But even that has problems...

anyway soapbox yielded..

Jim