[ppml] Get you IPv6 Today, lets update the policy

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 8 14:34:41 EST 2003

"Klement, Charles" <cjk at fluke.com> writes:

> If my understanding is correct (please correct me) The hierarchical
> nature of IPv6 would not allow me to have multiple transit
> providers.

Not true. There seems to be an old myth floating around that somehow
IPv6 routing  is somehow different than what happens in IPv4. From a
routing perspective, IPv6 uses CIDR and everything is pretty much the
same as in IPv4.

This myth has its roots in some early IPv6 documents, that gave the
impression that IPv6 could somehow mandate a particular
hierarchy. That view has long since been debunked.

Thomas