[ppml] Waiver of IPv6 Fees

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Mon Jan 6 18:00:00 EST 2003

That is what 6bone was for - to help indviduals develop new protocol and
adapt it. Its unfortunate it was decided to discontinue the project,
instead RIRs should have donated some resources to keep it running.
What should have been done is to have RIRs allocate special block (from
each RIRs allocation) to 6bone and have 6bone then allocate to individuals
from it with 6bone becoming LIR for all practical purposes. Its possible
RIRs could have also acted as agents for allocation purposes on behalf of
6bone but I do not believe RIRs should directly be allocating in the same
manner swamp space was allocated by internic before.

And even now I think RIRs (ARIN in particular, RIPE and APNIC are already
doing some) should do more to get involved in encoraging adoptations of
ipv6. Instead of trying to decide what schedule to adopt, ARIN should
instead be using ipv4 money to compensate (up to some set amount that
ARIN board should decide on) ipv6 related expenses (which I do not think
are large at all) and not only that but to encorage companies to use ipv6
(i.e. for example send letters or brochures to members & subscribers
about availability of ipv6 and need to change to new ip standards for
future, etc). What is being done now with extension of no charges for
ipv6 is good, but the way it sounds is "we do it free for now, but just
wait couple more months and we'll be happy to charge you for it".

And  remember - it will not matter what schedule you adopt, in reality
ipv6 will be flat-rate for all practical purposes. Even now ARIN says they
get over 80% of revenue from smallest ip blocks - just imagine what this
number will be when ipv6 is used commercially everywhere!