[ppml] Waiver of IPv6 Fees

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Mon Jan 6 16:57:59 EST 2003

    > And last of all - just give them away to anyone who wants them.  No need
    > to be a subscriber.  You might find they'll move faster that way.

Yeah, I think that if there were some sort of
no-recurring-fees-for-early-adopters sort of thing it would get things
moving a little more...  Honestly, the way it worked with IPv4 was that
the addresses got into the hands of the _individuals_ who were smart
enough to do something with them, and then the individuals pushed them
into companies and service providers.

If we don't have some way for smart people (not corporations with budgets)
to get v6 address space, we stay stuck in the chicken-and-egg position.

This doesn't decrease RR revenues, since the people who'd pick up address
space that way wouldn't be dues-payers otherwise.

I mean, imagine a situation where a smart person's alternative to running
a NAT on their home DSL was to run v6 behind their home DSL.  That would
get things moving.

                                -Bill