[hm-staff] RE: [ppml] Draft 2 of proposal for ip assignment with sponsorship

Anne Lord anne at apnic.net
Thu Feb 27 23:35:35 EST 2003

Hi Alec,

Just to respond to one point in this email.

> APNIC does have a policy for multi-homing though I am not familiar with it.
> I am sure somebody else here can provide more accurate information.

It is known as the 'small multihoming assignment policy'.
In brief you can receive portable address space direct from APNIC if you
meet specific criteria:

- If you are multihomed or plan to multihome withinone month;
- Agree to renumber out of previously assigned space.

Organisations requesting a portable assignment under these terms must
demonstrate that they are able to use 25 percent of the requested
assignment immediately and 50 percent within one year.

There is no minimum assignment size for portable assignments made under
these terms. There is also no maximum size but note it is an assignment
and this implies no further sub-assignment of the address space. It is
often more economical for an ISP who meets the critieria for a minimum
allocation to request an allocation instead.

You can request an assignment if you meet the criteria as a member or
non-member.

You can find a description of the policy here:

http://www.apnic.net/docs/policy/add-manage-policy.html#11.1
Section 11.1.

Take up of the policy has been relatively slow.

This may also be of use to this discussion:

http://www.apnic.net/db/min-alloc.html

Which states APNIC minimum assignment and allocation sizes within blocks.

Hope this helps,
Anne
Anne Lord, Manager, Policy Liaison                  <anne at apnic.net>
Asia Pacific Network Information Centre       phone: +61 7 3858 3100
http://www.apnic.net                            fax: +61 7 3858 3199