[ppml] Draft 2 of proposal for ip assignment with sponsorship

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Thu Feb 27 19:41:23 EST 2003

I have not missed this point, in fact I already made a draft available in
separate email to this list for proposal that would require ARIN to make
micro-assignments from specific class-A and in fact to try to keep size of
assignments about the same for each /8 ARIN has and make information about
this size of smallest announement for each /8 publicly available (to be
fair they already provide this information on website even now). I also
argued before against what are otherwise fairly good proposals 2002-5 and
2002-6 on the grounds that they do not include provision that when changing
to smaller size block then /20 ISPs must get allocated space from /8 block
here other micro-allocations are also being made and where ISPs do not
filter it on /20 boundary.

In addition I have to point out again that both APNIC and RIPE are making
assignments smaller then /20 out of their blocks which seems to indicate
a support of this among majority of RIRs. And this also means no matter
how we look at it, smaller announcements would still dominate routing
table if the grows of internet in the countries that represent 90% of the
World population continues.

And as far as load on the routers we have Moor's law that says that they
would become twice as fast every two years, the grows of the routing table
as seen at http://www.employees.org/~tbates/cidr.plot.html is a lot smaller
and everything does indicate that routers are becoming faster and smarter
and more capable and new technologies are also being invented that help to
deal with more complex routing table.