[ppml] Question RE: Draft 2 of proposal for ip assignment with sponsorship

McBurnett, Jim jmcburnett at msmgmt.com
Thu Feb 27 14:13:32 EST 2003

Please see notes inline.

>Why can't ARIN check to make sure they have 2 upstreams by asking for
>contracts and bills the first time around, and at renewal time
>check some
>of the backbone routers to make sure their AS is being announced by two
>providers.
See note below...
>There are gobs of places that ARIN could check
>this from that
>would take 1 minute to do.  If for some reason it doesn't show
>up in the
>routing tables, then the ISP could provide bills.
I am multi-homed and I will only show up in 1 route table- I use it for failover- not dynamic routing.
Also, do you want make ARIN big Brother on this? There has to be some
kind of accountability at the provider level, and to address the small ISPs:
	how many customers really would Multi-home with a tier 2 or Tier 3 provider?
	I am sorry, but I would not....

>If they
>can't provide
>bills proving they have two upstreams, yank the IPs.
How are the going to YANK the IPs? This has been a major issue.

>Part of me is also against the /24 allocation in the first
>place.  I know
>what it feels like, since I was a little irked when I couldn't
>get space
>when we started out.  But in the end it wasn't the end of the world.
>Renumbering out of a /24 isn't a life ending task.  Sure, it sucks, and
>everyone would rather not do it, but hey almost all of us have
>had to deal
>with it and we all made it okay.

Well /24 is the really only acceptable min size to announce..
I got mine, and then we decided to host all of our websites in house, after the fact.
multiple servers, multiple websites, etc... I am glad we have a /24..

>If you are multi-homed you need to contact your upstreams to
>announce the
>block anyway so it doesn't provide any benefit there.
Yeah, and if the upstream knows he is your sponsor, and he has some kind
of grip on you, he won't be willing to loose you so easily...

>Sorry to all those who disagree, it's just my two cents.
>
>Mury

Mine too... Jim