[ppml] IPv6 Justifications

Richard Jimmerson richardj at arin.net
Mon Feb 24 20:11:26 EST 2003

Hello Jeff,

The current IPv6 policies implemented by the ARIN staff
were created by the ARIN community.  In the case of the
IPv6 addressing policies, the same policy is implemented
across all four Regional Internet Registries (APNIC, ARIN,
LACNIC, and RIPE NCC).  A single IPv6 policy document was
agreed to by the communities of all the RIRs.

When it comes to implementing an IPv4 policy for small
multihomed organizations, that is up to the ARIN community,
not the ARIN staff.  ARIN staff does not make decisions about
Internet resource policy.  A full description of the process
is available at http://www.arin.net/policy/ipep.html.

Policy Proposal 2002-7 did not achieve consensus with the
community to be passed as written at the last ARIN meeting.
Policy Proposals 2002-3 and 2002-7 were very similar, as both
proposed small IPv4 assignments/allocations for multihomed
organizations.  The authors of policy proposal 2002-3 have
drafted some clarifying language that will be posted to the
public policy mailing list for discussion, along with all
other policy proposals, over the next week.

Best Regards,

Richard Jimmerson
Director of Operations